kparts/genericfactory: deprecated or not?

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Jan 12 18:08:38 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 12 January 2011 17:56:10 Marco Martin wrote:
> trying to make kdeedu build (will post patches to it next days) I've found
> a strange thing in kdelibs:
> the KParts/GenericFactory class is not marked as deprecated, but internally
> uses  KDEPrivate::ConcreteFactory that instead is deprecated and excluded
> from the build
>
> right now i have this patch in the meego packages that kills it with an
> #ifndef KDE_NO_DEPRECATED :
> https://build.pub.meego.com/package/view_file?file=no-kparts-
> genericfactory.diff&package=kdelibs&project=home:mkruisselbrink:kde&srcmd5=
> 846fa099bdaf53bd94e3f59e70e37f4a
>
> now the question is: is this correct? is genericfactory still supposed to
> exist or should be porte to use something diferent than ConcreteFactory?

Yeah, this one is an odd duck IIRC. So for now it's still around but defunct.
I don't quite remember why it's still not marked as deprecated... I remember a
discussion with David about but I can't find the conclusion in my archives.

Anyway, it's using KGenericFactory facilities and that one is deprecated, so
by transitivity you can assume KParts::GenericFactory as deprecated. And
you're indeed supposed to port away from it now, and use KPluginFactory
instead.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net