Git Scratch-Pads for every identity.kde.org account (not only developers)

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sun Jan 2 00:25:19 GMT 2011

On 1/2/2011 12:58 AM, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Or alternatively something like a two-stage development account, where the
> initial padawan status only allows for comitting in the personal scratch pad
> but also needs the OK by an existing person.

Something that I think -could- work (but also needs a lot
of implementation work) is a system by which any dev account
has the rights to grant any given non-dev KDE Identity account
to create a particular scratch repo. This could run over
projects.kde.org.

I.e. something like this:

1. Prospective contributor, henceforth known as Fritz, finds
    himself wanting to develop a Kate plugin.
2. Fritz signs up on KDE Identity.
3. Fritz heads over to KDE Projects and uses a web form to
    petition Milian Wolff to grant him a mysexyplugin.git
    scratch repo with a certain description and a separate
    written justification.
4. Milian Wolff receives an email about that petition that
    contains the info as well as links to grant or deny the
    request, without sysadmin involvement. He is subsequent-
    ly responsible for keeping an eye on that repo and gets
    spanked by sysadmin if Fritz uses it to backup his MP3
    collection.

> The whole "I as an existing Dev vouche for new contributor XYZ" is fraud
> anyways. If he's about to do new work, how am I supposed to know what he does
> or not. And "only clones allowed" is also not safe, he could simply upload
> fraud stuff in those clones if he wants to.

Note that I wrote "reasonable confidence", though. It's true
we cannot be 100% sure, but so far relying on the judgement
of our existing contributors has worked pretty well in fil-
tering out fishy requests, etc.

Keep in mind I get to see this first hand - it does happen
from time to time that someone who was named as a supporter
refuses to give the support he was asked for, usually with
a good justification as for why.

> So this is essentially a "CLOSED/WONTFIX" from your side then - too bad. Any
> other takers? Esp. considering how others (rekonq) already voiced themself in
> support of my request.

Assuming there's widespread support for the idea as such and
concerns about it can be eliminated, it's more a LATER than
a WONTFIX really. It's just that we don't think it'd be wise
to take this on right now with so many other known and more
pressing todos. There's also a let's-finish-what-we-started
aspect to it. You're programmer and understand the cost of
context switches - applies to people too.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein