Git Scratch-Pads for every identity.kde.org account (not only developers)

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sat Jan 1 23:39:08 GMT 2011

On 1/2/2011 12:21 AM, Milian Wolff wrote:
> See above, this is nothing I ever wanted to change. I only speak about
> scratchpad (or what was playground).
>
> Hope this makes it clear that most of your email is just not relevant.

I'm referring to this paragraph:

"It's also a mechanism to ensure that stuff served up under a
*.kde.org domain name isn't random crap (this issue is relevant
to your proposal, btw; if you want to see anything like it done,
please come up with a solid plan in this area that can be im-
plemented with the available manpower)."

Basically, the system that I described (and did so intentionally
because it (a) answered your question and (b) is really relevant
to your proposal) exists to try and make sure a couple of things
come true, among other things:

- Stuff in KDE SVN (and now git) is relevant to KDE.

- Stuff in KDE SVN (and now git) is of a respectable nature that
   won't get us sued.

This is done by screening the people who get to upload the data.

Your proposal, without additions, removes that screening step
and allows random persons to upload random data to a kde.org
machine and domain name.

I'm asking you to come up with a plan that:

- Makes sure that the data that will be uploaded will be rele-
   vant to KDE, so our infrastructure is not unnecessarily taxed.

- Finds a way to be reasonably confident that the data that
   will be uploaded will not make us liable in some way.

Additionally depending on the timeframe you had in mind I'd also
ask you to be prepared to do the work (including the systems that
deal with the above two concerns) necessary to implement your pro-
posal or organizing the needed manpower, because after discussing
it on IRC the sysadmin team believes that it should focus on com-
pleting work on git.kde.org as per the original feature scope for
now (e.g. there are still various issues to fix in the hooks and
around providing various consumers with the data necessary for
auto-discoverring repositories, plus more work on projects.kde.org, etc.).

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein