[GSOC?] Porting KDELibs to Android

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Sun Feb 27 15:59:57 GMT 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 16:37, Markus Slopianka <markus.s at kdemail.net> wrote:
> I can't speak for the others but IMO the GSOC program introduced an unhealthy attitude
> into FOSS:
> Get into a FOSS project solely for the money, patch something up in pre-alpha quality
> that's not yet good enough to be merged into the main tree, and leave after the money is
> collected.
>
> While I'd like to see an Android port, it would be of no use if the GSOC student
> disappears after the payment and no longer maintains it...

Yes this does happen. But it doesn't happen with all the students and
it also happens outside of GSoC.
Overall GSoC as a program and the students and mentors taking part in
it have made a great contribution to KDE. Let's not forget that. And
they will continue to do so. Last year alone we've had 46,5
successfully completed projects plus 8 on top of that for Season of
KDE. There is no other program I know achieving anything similar. As a
community our retention rate is very good when looking at all orgs
taking part especially when taking into account that we're the largest
org. Let's be thankful for what the students do and give them the
necessary incentive to stay even when no longer paid by Google. TO a
large extend that is in our hands.

Cheers
Lydia

--