A Qt replacement for KGlobal::ref and deref

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Feb 10 15:30:44 GMT 2011

Em quinta-feira, 10 de fevereiro de 2011, às 09:04:09, Ian Monroe escreveu:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 08:43, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> > Em quinta-feira, 10 de fevereiro de 2011, às 10:49:08, Stefan Majewsky
> >
> > escreveu:
> >>
> >> This assumption breaks in KDE because the progress is displayed by the
> >> kuiserver.
> >
> > But we're no longer talking about a KDE application. This is a Qt
> > application, with no access to kuiserver.
>
> But surely such functionality isn't unique to KDE? Having operations
> not associated with a QWidget that need to finish before an
> application closes seems pretty normal. David summed it up: "Instead
> of just counting open windows, you also count other things which ask
> to be counted - systray icon and jobs."

I disagree.

If the user can't get any kind of feedback, the application shouldn't be
running anymore.

System tray icons are a kind of feedback. Dialogs are too.

Running for 30 seconds in the background with no indication is not acceptable.
Worse is the application that doesn't quit ever after telling it to quit --
KMail 1.x did this all the time. I had to kill it or kquitapp after closing it
to quit. Maybe it's a refcount bug, but one that would be easy to tell if
there was still some kind of visual feedback enforced.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358