A Qt replacement for KGlobal::ref and deref

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Thu Feb 10 15:04:09 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 08:43, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> Em quinta-feira, 10 de fevereiro de 2011, às 10:49:08, Stefan Majewsky
> escreveu:
>> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
>> > The correct way to solve this problem is to show another window
>> > indicating that it is doing something and tell me what. We solve both
>> > problems at once: there is a window open, so it's not yet a quit from
>> > QCoreApplication's sense, and the user gets feedback.
>>
>> This assumption breaks in KDE because the progress is displayed by the
>> kuiserver.
>
> But we're no longer talking about a KDE application. This is a Qt application,
> with no access to kuiserver.

But surely such functionality isn't unique to KDE? Having operations
not associated with a QWidget that need to finish before an
application closes seems pretty normal. David summed it up: "Instead
of just counting open windows, you also count other things which ask
to be counted - systray icon and jobs."

Ian