Review Request: New KIO::http_post and KIO::StoredHttpPost APIs that accept a QIODevice as input...

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Fri Feb 4 15:52:54 GMT 2011

On Friday 04 February 2011, Dawit A wrote:
> Ahh... I think you misunderstood the purpose of the patch or rather
> the title of this review. The new APIs simply overload the existing
> http post APIs such that the data you are going to post is sent
> through a QIODevice (QFile or QBuffer) rather than a QByteArray.

No. I think understood it, and I fully agree that this patch is a definite
improvement. As it is, I support it. I am just asking if it would be possible
to make it even better by making the API take a KUrl or KIO job instead of
QIODevice. QIO is after all a completely separate and different IO system from
KIO. By using KIO to KIO it would be possible to POST data from another
websites coming in through KIO. To do the same with QIODevice you would send
the GET request with QIO and the post with KIO which just seems odd.

Or to put another way; PUT takes a KUrl to send to and gets the data it sends
from a slot. POST is essentially just a PUT with return data, so I would find
it most natural if POST mirrored PUT in how it sends data just like it mirrors
GET in how it receives it.

`Allan