Merge or Cherry-Pick?

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 19:35:19 GMT 2011

On Monday 31 January 2011 23:27:15 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday, 31 de January de 2011 22:58:52 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > something that hasn't been written down as far as I can see (if I
> > overlooked it, please point me to it) is what the policy on kdelibs is
> > to be now wrt. merging vs. cherry-picking of changes in branches and
> > master?
>
> Commit to 4.6, merge 4.6 into master.

That strategy fails for me.
I think you're all working on code that is not complicated enough :)
I often test bugfixes in master for a week or two (the "many eyeballs" approach
of free software) and then merge them to the stable branch when no regressions
crop up.
With bugfixes in stable that get merged to master I would have no place to put
tentative bugfixes. That is very bad.