Merge or Cherry-Pick?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Feb 2 17:35:07 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 02 February 2011, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> > > Does that make sense?
> >
> > Yes. Great. IMHO that type of documentation is what is needed in
> > techbase.
>
> in fact, that's exactly the type that does *not* belong there. there is
> enough generic git documentation out there, and bloating techbase by
> duplicating it all won't make it simpler to use. the right way is
> stating the desired goals, mentioning a few key phrases ("interactive
> rebase" in this case) and linking to some external source.

I very much disagree with this.
We need the basic recipes there.

With short statements I then start searching around in the web, find some
blogs, some man pages, mess around, and in the end just take a local diff,
get a fresh clone because everything is messed up, and apply the local diff
in one step.
At least that's the experience I had when trying to merge with conflicts and
short remarks like "do a interactive rebase" or something like that, which
lead me into an editor window which showed strange things where I didn't
understand what I should do and when I did something things just got worse.

Alex