Initial support for kde_projects.xml in kdesrc-build

Michael Jansen info at michael-jansen.biz
Tue Feb 1 19:58:25 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 01 February 2011 20:35:27 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 February 2011, Michael Jansen wrote:

> > > The big thing is getting all the required dependencies built and
> > > installed, or do you see other things which are complicated in
> > > building
> > > KDE modules ?
> >
> > yes i do.
> >
> > 1. It is a lot of work. if you work on base and want to run trunk there
> > is a myriad of modules to build to get a useful setup.
>
> kdelibs, kdepimlibs, then kdebase.

So want Aaaron and me to miss out on kwebkit and scripting, and policykit and
rekonq and ... konsole? How do you suppose to use your system without konsole.

kdesupport? anyone ... perhaps qt from trunk or qtsoftware to get problems as
early as possible?

> > 2. environment variables (which and how to setup). Separate build
> > environment from distro stuff that could interfere.
>
> CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH for finding stuff, and install your own stuff e.g.
> to /opt/mystuff/

Do you only compile stuff? Or do you run it too? Does strigi work for you?

STRIGI_PLUGIN_PATH ... but i haven't tested for a while if it needed nowadays.
Strigi would not work without it.

PKG_CONFIG_PATH, QTDIR (self compiled qt), PATH so your self compiled stuff is
picked up, LD_LIBRARY_PATH if you want to run stuff, XDG_DATA_DIRS, KDEDIRS.

> > 3. build order
>
> Isn't that the same as 1. ?

No. kwebkitpart has to be build after kdelibs and before kdebase. Did you know
that? Do you expect Joe NewKdeUser to know?

The kdesupport order is much harder to get right.

The strigi order?

Quick. Order these smokegen, smokeqt, smokekde, qtruby, korundum.

> > 4. which branches, version from which repo (only relevant for some
> > modules)
>
> You mean now with git or also with "old" svn ?

Have you ever tried to compile ktorrent? I mean with old svn too. But i expect
that to get a tad more difficult with git unless we get a real common
branching names strategy.

Mike