proposal: remove KTextEditor interface from kdelibs repository

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 1 03:19:29 GMT 2011

On Monday, January 31, 2011, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > yes, it can. and i don't believe anything in kdelibs itself uses it.
> >
> > khtml does (but we know very few people care about it).
>
> Indeed the debugger does use it

erf; two dependencies in kdelibs on KTextEditor. ok, that makes it a no go
then ... hm.. looking at it, only khtml has a build-time dependency on it. if
the texteditor part isn't available (or the source of the crash even? :) what
does the debugger do at that point?

i should go hunt down ervin and find out where that nice kdelibs
interdependencies chart has gone to ...

> > > * it would be an interesting and useful experiment with modularization
> > > of kdelibs
> >
> > I don't think taking out random pieces of kdelibs piece-by-piece is
> > something useful to do over time: either you split the whole at once, or
> > you don't.
>
> As there's not even a clear idea of where to split kdelibs, this request
> is just a different way of saying "don't do it". Not to mention the
> amount of work necessary to do such a modularization at once.

exactly ... i think it would be wise for us to try it with something small and
non-critical first to discover what the challenges are and what issues arise
when doing so.

oh well, KTextEditor isn't an option,

--
Aaron J. Seigo