KDE Telepathy on its way to Extragear

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Dec 31 18:41:10 GMT 2011

On Sunday 25 December 2011, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > We're very short of releasing third version (0.3), which is also
> > first beta. We plan to introduce Nepomuk as main contact storage
> > in the next release (June or July) and in the meantime we'll
> > maintain 0.3 branch.
>
> Please ensure you store the main copy of the data somewhere outside
> Nepomuk. In a large number of user support scenarios, especially
> those involving an inconsistent Akonadi, it is necessary to destroy
> the Nepomuk database to ensure ghost entries do not cause problems.
>
> If KDE Telepathy uses Nepomuk as it's primary store of contacts
> information, it will make user support for other areas of KDE which
> are still maturing much harder.
>
> There are also a number of users who have Nepomuk disabled, or a
> system where Nepomuk is broken (due to old configurations, corrupt
> databases, and the like).

Neither disabling Nepomuk nor deleting Nepomuk's database is a good
solution. It might be the easiest workaround for some of the problems
users experience, but IMHO it's sledgehammer-style and in the same
league as reinstalling Windows.

Many KDE applications do already use Nepomuk to store information and
many more KDE applications will use it in the future. Deleting the
Nepomuk database is a sure way to shoot yourself in the foot and I'd
prefer if this approach would not be recommended anymore as fix for
problems. Additionally, I'd like to see Nepomuk (or the applications
using Nepomuk) provide tools for fixing problems with Nepomuk.

Regards,
Ingo