Suggestions for some KDE default options

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Tue Dec 13 11:47:39 GMT 2011

On 12/12/2011 8:30 PM, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 11 December 2011, Eike Hein wrote:
>> This isn't k-c-d material, obviously flamy and bikesheddy,
>> and most likely a case of our esteemed list mods having
>> had a too luxurious breakfast on this fine Sunday morning.
>
> I'm sorry, but censorship is not part of my job description. I share
> your opinion about this message. Nevertheless, I chose to approve the
> message.
>
> Markus made exactly the right reply, constructive (except for the
> "whining" bit) and to the point. You didn't. Your reply was not really
> helpful. In fact, I, as one of your "esteemed list mods", find it
> outright insulting.

I'm sorry that you felt insulted. I'd like to point
out that I'm not a native speaker, so my phrasing
might not have come across that way, but both the
cheeky breakfast reference and the 'esteemed' bit
were meant to be tongue-in-cheek, to make light of
the situation.

I'd like to point out that:

- I sent my mail after observing discussion on IRC
   among several regular kde-core-devel contributors
   who were horrified that the thread-starting mail
   was let through by the list moderators, and who
   were afraid that it would provoke a long and
   pointless flamefest. After I sent my mail I was
   thanked profusely by more than half a dozen regular
   kde-core-devel contributors on IRC for sending it.
   So apparently my appraisal of the situation was
   shared by others, which may indicate that your
   policies as a list moderator may actually be out
   of touch with the community you are trying to
   serve.

- My mail was designed to avoid a bikeshed dis-
   cussion, which the reply by Markus that you
   praised actually ran the danger of provoking -
   as others disagreed heavily with his assessment
   on IRC. (I was also subsequently asked by Lydia
   from the Community Working Group to enable the
   moderation bit for Markus, which I did. The CWG
   and Markus have a history; I'll defer to Lydia
   on that topic.)

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein