systemd and KDE (was: Re: kdeinit)

Stefan Majewsky stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 23 15:48:24 BST 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> is there a way to get notified from systemd when a unit changes activation or
> load state? because those would also be useful in the engine, obviously.

I don't see such signals, and this can be a real problem. libqsystemd
currently implements caching for values because I consider D-Bus calls
expensive, but there is nothing that would invalidate cached values.

> the only thing that might be interesting is to provide a serviceForSource
> implementation that allows interacting with a unit, if a user is able to do
> anything useful (such as activate/deactive a unit?). i'm not sure that's
> possible though; if not then a Service is also unecessary.

That's possible, though the default setup of the D-Bus service grants
this right only to root. Sounds like a job for PolicyKit.

Greetings
Stefan