git workflow draft

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Aug 23 07:15:50 BST 2011

On Monday, August 22, 2011 11:33:49 Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> Was this decided upon at some point?  I got conflicting stories fromsysadmin
> and other developers.  Yesterday after migrating kdeaccessibilityto git I
> was asked by a sysadmin to rename the X.Y branches to KDE/X.Y  Ithink

personally, i prefer the KDE/X.Y style as well; and as we haven't had more
accidently pushes of X.Y branches as people have become accustomed to the git
tools more, the original reason for suggesting to move away from KDE/X.Y to
just X.Y seems to have gone away?

> concensus and consistency are important here.  Was there a decision that the
> official branches should be named X.Y?

not an official, consensus based on that i know of; there were some ad-hoc
decisions made, but that's about it.. and now we have some inconsistencies in
our modules. personally i like the KDE/X.Y branch names as they are
unambiguous and would like to use that style.

> Is that documentedsomewhere (I spent
> some time looking, but didn't find it).  If not we should
> reach concensus and also fix the repositories that are not following this
> standard sooner than later imo.  This will help greatly in the long run

+1 to that.

my suggestion:

* give a 1 week period on this list for discussion and objections
* at the end of that period, if there is consensus, inform sysadmin and
request their opinion and consensus on the matter
* record this on techbase as part of our commit policies
* start fixing the modules that don't follow the consensus conclusion

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se