KDE 5, Qt 5 and QML - What is advised for writing new (KDE) applications in the long term?

Shaun Reich shaun.reich at kdemail.net
Wed Aug 17 19:05:12 BST 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So for future KDE apps there is no "guideline" to use QML if possible
> (option #2).. It's all still (and remains) what the app developer want
> to do?

No of course not. In the same manner that you can write a Plasma
widget in anything you like. It's just that we're actually trying to
port as much as we can to QML, as it's a lot easier to maintain and
faster to develop. Things that should be simple, like lists with
proper theming and scroll support, etc. actually are, now, with QML.

> @nuno for kde components. I've experimented with the GIT components on
> windows and they look very native and good. They should look equally
> native on KDE and Mac. I'm just hoping they fix some bugs and make it
> part of Qt 4.8 or 5.0. Since this stuff is making the app distribution
> somewhat tricky as the components need to be installed manually.

Which afik makes it not a target as of now, unfortunately.

--
Shaun Reich,
KDE Software Developer (kde.org)