Plan to transition to KDE Frameworks

Scott Kitterman kde at kitterman.com
Wed Aug 10 00:26:17 BST 2011

On Tuesday, August 09, 2011 07:05:53 PM David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 08 August 2011 00:42:50 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Saturday, August 06, 2011 09:32:02 AM David Faure wrote:
> > ..
> >
> > > The next step is to backport the few bits of new api that went into
> > > master and that application developers started using, into the 4.7
> > > branch of kdelibs. I'll work on that, but help is welcome too.

> > This plan seems to be contrary to the KDE Point Release Policy [1].  At
> > this point I don't see an easy way out, but it would be good if a cutoff
> > point for these additional API changes in 4.7 could be set (perhaps no
> > later than 4.7.1's release).
> > [1] http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Minor_Point_Release_Policy
>
> Under some conditions, the policy allows new API in a stable branch.
> We decided that these conditions were met :-)
>
> (IIRC there were only three, and they were rather minor and safe; a
> KUrl::List constructor, a new exported method, a new signal)

Just to be clear then ...  No further API changes are planned for
incorporation in the 4.7 branch?  From a distro perspective it matters to me
that the API be stable after our release (which will be with 4.7.1 or 4.7.2
depending on when they are released), so as long as it's those and no others
I'm perfectly happy.

Scott K