Plan to transition to KDE Frameworks

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Aug 6 14:32:02 BST 2011

On Tuesday 07 June 2011 01:43:44 David Faure wrote:
> Once the 4.7 branch is created, the plan is to do the following:
>
> - application developers can work in master as usual, no change there.
>
> - we create a new branch in kdelibs (say, "frameworks") for the work on
> splitting up kdelibs and reworking dependencies. Initially, this work is
> based on Qt 4. We don't need Qt 5 to reorganize our own code.
>
> - kdelibs in master is frozen. No work going on there.
>    At most, "merging" the fixes from 4.7 branch.
>    (No git bikeshedding please, when I say merging it can be either merge or
> cherry-pick, I don't care) The idea here is: people who are used to "get
> everything from master" can keep doing that, without hitting the
> lib-splitting breakage. But at the same time, we don't really want to apply
> bugfixes to three branches (4.7, master, frameworks). At least I'm too lazy
> for that, I think two branches is plenty already. :-) Dividing our efforts
> is never a good idea. So the kdelibs-master branch would be basically dead
> (no work going on there, no release from that code), until the frameworks
> branch is merged into it.

With a bit of delay, I just started the above plan: I created the frameworks
branch in kdelibs (from kdelibs master), and I made kdelibs master frozen.

To say this clearly: NO COMMITS ARE POSSIBLE IN KDELIBS MASTER.

If you want to work on modularizing kdelibs, please join the effort on the
frameworks branch that is about to start (*).

If you want to fix a bug in kdelibs, please apply the fix to the 4.7 branch and
to frameworks.

The next step is to backport the few bits of new api that went into master and
that application developers started using, into the 4.7 branch of kdelibs.
I'll work on that, but help is welcome too.

(*) Howto for kdesrc-build users:

module kdelibs-frameworks
  repository kde:kdelibs
  branch frameworks
  cmake-options -DKDE4_BUILD_TESTS=TRUE -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=debugfull
-DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH:PATH=/d/kde/inst/kdesupport_trunk
  prefix /d/kde/inst/kde_frameworks
end module