GeoClue dependencies

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Apr 29 06:00:30 BST 2011

On Thursday, 2011-04-28, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Thursday, 2011-04-28, John Layt wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> There's been a short discussion on the GeoClue mailing list related to
> >> resolving the issues we have around their dependencies on gconf and
> >> gsettings
> >>
> >> and the latest response has been:
> >>
> >> Now, I don't really know about GSettings, but I'm guessing this isn't an
> >> acceptable things for us?
> >
> > Can you elaborate on how this dependency affects KDE? Isn't GeoClue
> > offering its service through D-Bus interfaces?
>
> IIRC it is, not only actual service is available but set of providers are
> introspectable and option getters/setters are available via dbus.
>
> http://folks.o-hand.com/jku/geoclue-docs/Geoclue.html
>
> A nightmare for me if using via dbus C API is used, but with Qt...

Therefore I am wondering how there can be a dependency on anything like
GConf/GSettings.

Interestingly nobody seems to know as I've asked basically the same question
about two years ago in a similar discussion on the kde-edu list and didn't get
any answer back than either.

One of those unsolvable misteries on life I suppose.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring