GeoClue dependencies

Jarosław Staniek staniek at kde.org
Thu Apr 28 21:25:58 BST 2011

Kevin Krammer wrote:

> On Thursday, 2011-04-28, John Layt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There's been a short discussion on the GeoClue mailing list related to
>> resolving the issues we have around their dependencies on gconf and
>> gsettings
>>
>> and the latest response has been:
>> > The GConf dependency is already gone. And I wouldn't take a patch to
>> > remove the GSettings dependency. There's Qt bindings to access
>> > GSettings, and GSettings lives in GIO, which is also where the
>> > dbus-glib replacement (GDBus) lives. I don't think that trying to
>> > replace a library that's already in the dependencies due to the way
>> > packages are built is buying us anything but too moving parts.
>>
>> Now, I don't really know about GSettings, but I'm guessing this isn't an
>> acceptable things for us?
>
> Can you elaborate on how this dependency affects KDE? Isn't GeoClue
> offering its service through D-Bus interfaces?

IIRC it is, not only actual service is available but set of providers are
introspectable and option getters/setters are available via dbus.

http://folks.o-hand.com/jku/geoclue-docs/Geoclue.html

A nightmare for me if using via dbus C API is used, but with Qt...

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek