Help on .desktop files for oxygen

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo at oxygen-icons.org
Thu Apr 28 10:54:13 BST 2011

Harald, David,

Thanks for the feedback. Obviously too much careless copy/paste on my side.

Harald:
Having all the configuration featurs of oxygen-settings in
systemsettings is simply not an option (it has been discussed at length
among oxygen devs). So the available solutions are either:

1/ no "advanced options" GUI at all, and we instruct power users on how
to modify oxygenrc manually at will. This is what we started with, and
Nuno has a blog post about it.

2/ keep oxygen-settings to edit oxygenrc for you, but don't make it
generally available, instructing people that it is here and can be run
via command line on a per-user, per-bug, per-whatever basis. This is the
current solution (and I've read complains about it on various forums).

3/ make it available via .desktop file, which is what I suggest now.

Also, we're naturally ready to discuss the possibility of moving some
(one or two, no more) of the "advanced" options to the "basic" options.

More detailed questions follow.

>> X-KDE-ServiceTypes=DBUS/InstantMessenger
>> X-DBUS-StartupType=Unique
>> X-DBUS-ServiceName=org.kde.konversation
> are probably not supposed to be there ;)

True. I guess now you know which desktop file I use to make mine ;)

> GenericName and Name ought not be the same... Generic could be something like
> "Advanced Widget and Window Decoration Settings".

Clear. Thanks !

> Icon probably should be start-here-oxygen.

mmm. I'm confused. There is no "start-here-oxygen.png" icon in themes,
whereas there is an oxygen.png icon (well, in oxygen theme). But maybe I
should rather ship the icon (and install) with the application ?

> General note about the Settings category: I think in a default setup only
> SystemSettings is listed in Settings (which will not make it show up in the
> menu at all), adding another application entry to the Settings category will
> make it show up in the menu... a menu with 2 entries (of which one is already
> listed by default in kickoff favorites *and* the kickoff computer tab) seems
> like bad default appearance to me *shrug*
Fine with me (and I agree about your concern).
Any better Categories suggestion ? (or alternatively, where do I find
the list of available Categories) ?

Even a KDE;Application;Misc would suit me.

I want the application to appear in the menu, but do not care about how
visible it is (and it should definitely not be as visible as
system-settings).

Hugo