kwin crashes short after start

Gary Greene greeneg at tolharadys.net
Tue Apr 19 03:14:25 BST 2011

On 18 Apr 2011, at 1:31 PM, Thomas Lübking wrote:

> Am 18.04.2011, 21:57 Uhr, schrieb Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org>:
>> This was meant as a workaround. And, of course, you can edit kwinrc (or
>> whatever rc file) without having a desktop.
>
> given the comments in bug #271166 this is
> a) on vmware (they cheat a "gallium" driver)
> b) only on first login to a fresh new account (since then kwin should have figure: compositing doesn't work)
>
> In particular shader support seems "incomplete" but is activated for the gallium driver.
> Disabling all shader effects and setting the scale method to "smooth" (ie, avoid the laczos filter) will probably do - otherwise we'll just blacklist vmware completely.
>

> Cheers,
> Thomas

Please don't, re blacklisting. I actually have a working VMware Fusion with full Compositing, and would be very unhappy to have to go back to a non-composited desktop. (No crash here, using an ATI Radeon HD 2400 on the host system.)

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Developer and Project Lead for the AltimatOS open source project

Please avoid sending me MS Office attachments.