kwin crashes short after start

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:31:47 BST 2011

Am 18.04.2011, 21:57 Uhr, schrieb Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org>:
> This was meant as a workaround. And, of course, you can edit kwinrc (or
> whatever rc file) without having a desktop.

given the comments in bug #271166 this is
a) on vmware (they cheat a "gallium" driver)
b) only on first login to a fresh new account (since then kwin should have
figure: compositing doesn't work)

In particular shader support seems "incomplete" but is activated for the
gallium driver.
Disabling all shader effects and setting the scale method to "smooth" (ie,
avoid the laczos filter) will probably do - otherwise we'll just blacklist
vmware completely.

Cheers,
Thomas