Review Request: GUI configuration for the 'Do Not Track' feature...

Dawit A adawit at kde.org
Sat Apr 16 01:00:19 BST 2011

2011/4/15 Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org>:
> On Friday 15 April 2011, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 09:24:47AM -0400, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
>> >
>> > That makes no sense especially since not sending the header is
>> > currently equivalent to DNT: 1.
>>
>> huh?
>
> Ossi is right. NO-EXPRESSED-PREFERENCE (header is missing) is equivalent
> to OPT-IN (DNT: 0) as in both cases "a server MAY perform THIRD-PARTY
> TRACKING".

Hmm... I indeed got that wrong. According to the draft spec secion
8.3, no header present is an OPT-IN. However, since we always send
"DNT:1" or OPT-OUT by default, this should not be an issue. A user can
then uncheck the box to OPT-IN (DNT:0) if they so desire. And since
not sending the header is the same as "DNT:0", then there is no reason
why we should not explicitly include it in the header sent to the
server.

Regards,
Dawit A.