Review Request: GUI configuration for the 'Do Not Track' feature...

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Apr 15 20:00:11 BST 2011

On Friday 15 April 2011, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 09:24:47AM -0400, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Maksim Orlovich <mo85 at cornell.edu>
wrote:
> > > Ah, I misread the default. But still, I don't think we want to
> > > send DNT:0 if the user unchecks the checkbox, given how the
> > > label is worded -- IMHO we wouldn't want to send the header at
> > > all.
> >
> > That makes no sense especially since not sending the header is
> > currently equivalent to DNT: 1.
>
> huh?

Ossi is right. NO-EXPRESSED-PREFERENCE (header is missing) is equivalent
to OPT-IN (DNT: 0) as in both cases "a server MAY perform THIRD-PARTY
TRACKING".

> > The configuration option is there to allow the user to opt-in if
> > they so choose.
>
> that's not a very wise default. if too many people will use it (*),
> the data miners will just ignore the standard, based on the rightful
> claim that most people didn't even explicitly say they don't want to
> be tracked.

Sorry, but this argumentation is ridiculous. Bad data miners will ignore
the standard no matter what.

> if you want to encourage people to make use of this
> privacy protection mechanism, you should pop up a dialog if no
> preference has been configured yet.

You do realize that people do not read dialogs? Most users will have no
clue what the dialog is talking about and just click Yes. OTOH, we, the
developers, know exactly what it means. Therefore, we are not just
entitled to but we are obliged to use the sensible default (OPT-OUT)
without asking the user questions he does not understand.

Regards,
Ingo