Wacomtablet moved to kdereview

Jörg Ehrichs Joerg.Ehrichs at gmx.de
Thu Sep 30 08:06:09 BST 2010

Am Mittwoch, 29. September 2010, 23:52:14 schrieb Kevin Ottens:
> In your case, with the current timing, it means that your code there should
> stop working at some point if we swap the backends.

At one point I had a "basic extension" to the solid api written that detects
input devices. (I'm certainly sure it was not written as intended but worked
on my computer, sadly only on mine)
Because of this and the talk about switching backends away from HAL I wasn't
sure what the best solution for this is. So I postponed it for now.

> So be aware of it, if
> there's need for some other facilities, I'm fine discussing them to maybe
> slightly extend the libsolid API to provide what you need for this kded
> module. From what I see you need to:
>  - locate input devices;
>  - on those input devices you need to know the driver to use;
>  - and also the exact type of input device.
>
> Is it correct?

Yes, right now all I need is the names and Vendor of the input devices.

Ideally libsolid could be extended to detect input devices in general thus
making it possible to do HotPlug actions not only for wacomtablets but also in
the future maybe for other devices like external mouse, Wiimode controller and
such.

It would be really great if I could drop the tablet detection I do right now
with all the messy xinput etc reading and solely depend on solid to do this
for me.

> I'm not fully clear on the type of input devices though... I see mentionned
> stylus, pad, eraser and so on, but that doesn't tell me much.

What kind of information do you need for this? I'll gladly provide any
information necessary.
My last implementation looked nearly the same as I have in my program now. So
I was just looking for the right vendor names and then expose all information
available from the HAL output via solid. But this didn't seem to work for
anyone.

Would be nice if we could find a good solution to it.

Regards
Jörg