Wacomtablet moved to kdereview

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Sep 29 22:52:14 BST 2010

On Wednesday 29 September 2010 23:36:57 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> also looking at the DBus service, realize that this:
>
>        foreach(const Solid::Device &device, Solid::Device::allDevices()) {
>
> is probably very slow (many seconds) on most systems that will have a
> tablet connected to them. i would instead greatly recommend that you
> instead use:
>
> 	Solid::Device::listFromType(<type>)
>
> if at all possible. since this is expected to go into kded, such things are
> fairly important as any stoppages cause everything to stop due to the
> single- thread design.

Everything said above is definitely right, and since I see libsolid
mentionned... I'd just like to let you know that you're using
Solid::GenericInterface in your code, which is fine as an interim solution
(it's there exactly for that purposed) *BUT* automatically makes your code not
portable at all.

In your case, with the current timing, it means that your code there should
stop working at some point if we swap the backends. So be aware of it, if
there's need for some other facilities, I'm fine discussing them to maybe
slightly extend the libsolid API to provide what you need for this kded
module. From what I see you need to:
 - locate input devices;
 - on those input devices you need to know the driver to use;
 - and also the exact type of input device.

Is it correct?

I'm not fully clear on the type of input devices though... I see mentionned
stylus, pad, eraser and so on, but that doesn't tell me much.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net