cmake for python projects (was: KDE/kdegames)

Parker Coates parker.coates at kdemail.net
Wed Sep 29 00:13:37 BST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 15:39, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 27 September 2010, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
>> On Montag 27 September 2010, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>>> README.packagers will do but I still prefer my method of
>>> giving a build time error unless the packager has overridden
>>> it.
>>> "Distribution packagers do NOT want cmake to error out on
>>> missing runtime dependencies" as above, I'm a packager and
>>> I'd rather it did, I'd certainly prefer to have warnings.
>>
>> I changed that to "Most distribution packagers" (namely
>> Sune Vuorela/Debian and Johannes Obermayr/Suse do not want
>> them, while you do. I do not know about others).
>
> I think you can also count Dirk Mueller in.
> I have put Rex Dieter from Fedora/RedHat on CC, so he can also say how he sees
> the issue.
>
> I think we need to decide for *one policy*.

I'm neither a packager nor a build system expert, so I might be way
off here, but could we not satisfy everyone by adding a new CMake
command (kde4_find_runtime_dependency) to do the checking and a
corresponding global flag to determine the behaviour when deps are
missing (ERROR_ON_MISSING_RUNTIME_DEPS)?

Of course, picking the default value of the flag would be another
discussion, but from a technical standpoint it doesn't seem that
difficult to give everyone the behaviour they want.

Parker