why kdelibs?

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sun Oct 31 20:35:44 GMT 2010

On Sunday 31 October 2010 Juan Carlos Torres wrote:

> So basically, what would convince 3rd party developers
> (Qt developers, Windows developers, iOS/Android developers)
> to write KDE apps? Better yet, what would now constitute being
> a "KDE app"? Platform integration and consistency? Only on
> desktops/netbooks perhaps. On mobile, we'd have to follow
> *their* (Maemo, MeeGo, WM) platform. Why not just call the app
> a Qt app then? Again, this is from an interested 3rd party
> developer POV. Established KDE SC apps would most
> probably keep the same brand.

Specific KDE apps would be those who are written by the KDE community. That's
where KDE has been moving anyway. The brand is more about the community and
less about libraries.

> True that KDE is much more than the libraries. But aren't those
> libraries also an important part of what makes KDE? I mean, if
> developers decided to make KDE apps, isn't it sometimes
> because KDE libraries rock?

Exactly. So if these rocking libraries are part of Qt and so available to
every single Qt developer, they can easily become part of KDE as well.
Something which is quite a barrier today.