"Cornelius's grand plan" - Merging KDElibs into Qt

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Sun Oct 31 18:41:52 GMT 2010

Hi!

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010, Mark Kretschmann wrote:

> It's a very controversial idea. However, I think it is so refreshing
> that it deserves some more thought. Personally, I think the idea is
> great, if we can overcome some of the obvious road blocks. I would
> love to read some honest and direct thoughts from you guys.
>
> What do you think about it?

I think it's good occasion to congratulate Nokia's Community and Product
Managers for their diligent and thought-through work of the last two
years :)

Seriously. I don't see this idea being a benefit for KDE. Quite the
opposite. Nokia has done a great job of bringing Qt on track for an open
development model. Eventually the maintenance might be almost completely
outsourced to volunteers or 3rd parties. But one should not forget that
the vendor's target are mobile devices. Other platforms (desktop, older
Unices, X11-specifics, Jambi etc.) are 2nd tier. Sure, the open model will
allow for outsiders to maintain "exotic" platforms. But why should KDE
accept the loss of effectiveness? The open model will also allow for
completely independant companies/projects to offer their libraries. Why
not via kde.org? Marketing people will also know why this can be
important. Therefore I agree with those saying that we should have our
libs modular and portable and market *those*.

I realize that those working for Nokia directly or indirectly in their
"real life", i.e. dealing with work where KDE-specifics hurt have a
different perspective. Having worked on Qt before I understand too well
but it helps to take a step at the global perspective of KDE as a project
with lots of different people and an independent identiy.

Harri.