why kdelibs?

Richard Dale richard.dale at telefonica.net
Sat Oct 30 16:01:42 BST 2010

On Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:11:43 pm Chani wrote:
> When I was at DevDays, I noticed that while people were very enthusiastic
> about Qt, I was getting a sort of "qt is all you need" vibe at times - a
> fine sentiment for promoting qt, but then, what about kdelibs?
>
> And then I realized: what *about* kdelibs? I had no idea how to tell anyone
> why they should use the kde platform, what advantages it would bring. Hell,
> at this point I'm not even sure what's *in* kdelibs, or what the KDE
> Platform is.
>
> After a quick skim of community.kde.org, I'm just as lost.
>
> So I ask you: Why kdelibs? Why the KDE Platform? I *know* that we have all
> kinds of awesome in there, but what is it and why should people use it?
I think you could ask the same question about "Why Qt Mobility?". For
instance, I have been recently experimenting with the Qt Mobility QValueSpace
publish/subscribe api for publishing Tracker changes. There is nothing in the
code that is specific to small devices - it uses shared memory and unix domain
sockets to publish the info. There is no reason why KDE Nepomuk or other KDE
projects couldn't use it, as imho it is a generally useful very nice library.

-- Richard