why kdelibs?

Stuart Jarvis stuart.jarvis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 16:56:57 BST 2010

On Thursday 28 October 2010 12:11:43 Chani wrote:
> When I was at DevDays, I noticed that while people were very enthusiastic
> about Qt, I was getting a sort of "qt is all you need" vibe at times - a
> fine sentiment for promoting qt, but then, what about kdelibs?
>
> And then I realized: what *about* kdelibs? I had no idea how to tell anyone
> why they should use the kde platform, what advantages it would bring. Hell,
> at this point I'm not even sure what's *in* kdelibs, or what the KDE
> Platform is.
>
> After a quick skim of community.kde.org, I'm just as lost.
>
> So I ask you: Why kdelibs? Why the KDE Platform? I *know* that we have all
> kinds of awesome in there, but what is it and why should people use it?

Good question :-) We've been discussion on promo introducing some 'opinion'
style articles on the Dot, so perhaps when you've had a think about it one of
you can write an article setting out why using the KDE Platform is better than
Qt alone - and perhaps we'll find someone else to put the opposite view :-)

Cheers,
Stu