RFC: Creation of a new KDE SC module [kdeplugins]

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 11 08:53:06 BST 2010

On Sunday, October 10, 2010, George Kiagiadakis wrote:
> And why not just put the plugins in kdebase together with konqueror
> and just make their directory optional with
> macro_add_optional_subdirectory() in CMakeLists.txt? I don't see why

at least in the case of something like plasma, this would result in a TON of
plugins that are really not at all interesting in the scope of "basic desktop
/ netbook / etc. shell". i really don't want to see a "basic plasma desktop"
end up including the bouncing ball (for example), and i fear that's exactly
how it would end up if we just threw everything into kdebase. it allows us to
have a place for more niche or less useful (but still interesting) plugins, as
well as allow a slightly more relaxed maintenance / quality burdon for those
addons (thereby lowering the barrier to entry there). all in all the separate
module for "extra" plugins really works very well for us.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se