RFC: Creation of a new KDE SC module [kdeplugins]

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 10:36:17 BST 2010

On October 9, 2010 10:56:03 Ivan Cukic wrote:
> > The Git user survey is still running [0]. According to the preliminary
> > results [1], most users favour better support for submodules, but
> > relatively few put subtree clones [2] high into their wishlist. KDE
> > repository replicators might want to use the chance to vote according to
> > their specific requirements.
>
> Well, the general-user survey doesn't necesarrily mean that KDE devs think
> the same.

I believe he was suggesting that we go vote. :)

> IMO, for most KDE modules, there isn't a need for submodule-checkouts - it
> is not very likely that someone wants to install kdebase-workspace without
> kdebase-runtime or something like that.

s/install/hack on/, I think. users install packagers, developers check out
repos. :)
also, you mean subtree. submodule is something else (kinda like svn externals)

> But, if we look at extragear, the story is quite different - it is more
> common to install only one app than a complete module. I think the same
> would apply to addons. And, in gko, extragear is no longer one module -
> amarok and konversation are 'top level' repos. In that sense, I'd rather
> have konqueror-addons, plasma-addons, kwin-addons as separate repos,
> although they might be represented in redmine as a subproject of
> kde-addons or similar.

hmmmmmm. in this case, I may be inclined to agree with you - it's not like
kdepim or kdegames, where there's a community built around the module as a
whole. (the partially-written "social workflows" thing may be of interest
here: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/MoveToGit/Layout#Social_Workflows )

--
Chani
http://chani.ca