Wacomtablet moved to kdereview

Fredrik Höglund fredrik at kde.org
Wed Oct 6 16:23:56 BST 2010

On Tuesday 05 October 2010, Jörg Ehrichs wrote:
> Am Montag, 4. Oktober 2010, 22:02:11 schrieb Fredrik Höglund:
> > I just want to point out that if you use XInput, you don't need Solid,
> > because the X server dispatches events to applications when devices
> > are connected and disconnected.
>
> I assume this means I could "easily" switch from the current device HotPlug
> detection to something X11 offers already? I've tried to find something on
> freedesktop.org and with Google, but could get anything useful in this
> direction.
>
> Could you give me a small hint, where to look to get this implemented?

Peter Hutterer wrote a series of blog posts about this last year when
XI2 was merged into the master branch in the X server.

Part two of that series covers device detection and hotplugging:

http://who-t.blogspot.com/2009/06/xi2-recipies-part-2.html

To intercept these events in a Qt application you have to install an
event filter by calling QCoreApplication::setEventFilter().
The void *message parameter in the filter function is cast to XEvent*.

Regards,
Fredrik