"-DQT_NO_CAST_FROM_ASCII -DQT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII" as policy in kde

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Oct 5 23:09:06 BST 2010

On Tuesday 5. October 2010 22.20.33 Parker Coates wrote:
> It certainly takes away from the "Wow! QStrings are really easy to
> use!" experience often encountered when working with Qt for the first
> time and replaces it with "Oh, Qt has different string types for
> different types of text and I have to pay attention to which I use
> where."

You *have* to pay attention to the encoding anyway, regardless of whether you
have the cast macros or not. The macros simply help you understand where you
must pay attention, instead of silent conversion.

I remember when I ported the Linux kernel's "qconfig" from Qt2 to Qt3 and it
had a huge number of encoding mismatches. So even intelligent people like
kernel hackers get it wrong. Imagine newbies.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358