"-DQT_NO_CAST_FROM_ASCII -DQT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII" as policy in kde

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Oct 5 13:02:48 BST 2010

Em Terça-feira 05 Outubro 2010, às 13:27:47, laurent Montel escreveu:
> Hi,
> As you saw I started to make kde compile with it.
> - kdetoys/kdeaccessibility/kdereview/kdeadmin compiles fine with it
> - I started to fix kdegames/kdeutils (90% done)/kdemultimedia.
>
> It allows to make code sometime faster, but it allows to find untranslated
> string (I fixed 5-10 untranslated string until now, even if with my own
> script I never saw theses untranslated strings.)
>
> For me it will good to have it by default (not now :) but I can continue to
> fix compile)
>
> I created a perl script (not 100% perfect) which helps to convert it.
>
> (Ok it doesn't fix all compile error.)
>
> What do you think about it ?

This is not necessary for applications. For applications, leaving the cast
from ASCII is not a problem. In fact, it's slightly more efficient.

Library code should be compiled with those plus:
	QT_NO_URL_CAST_FROM_STRING
	QT_USE_FAST_OPERATOR_PLUS

The last option also blacklists GCC 4.0 and 4.1. It starts requiring GCC 4.2,
which is the minimum supported version for Qt too.

Note also that KUrl is not affected by the string issue that affects QUrl's
constructor.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2010  -  Munich Oct 11-13  -  San Francisco Nov 1-3
For more information and to register: http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2010