Wacomtablet moved to kdereview

Fredrik Höglund fredrik at kde.org
Mon Oct 4 21:02:11 BST 2010

On Thursday 30 September 2010, Jörg Ehrichs wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 30. September 2010, 07:52:01 schrieb Gökçen Eraslan:
> > By the way, do you think to use xinput libraries instead of parsing xinput
> > and xsetwacom commands? Output structure of commands may change in future.
> > Maybe you can add a TODO file to project about this.
>
> Yes i thought about it. Shortly after i wrote the parsing code i do know.
> The only reason why I still use the big list of parsing rules just to get the
> vendor and Tablet / input device names is, that I couldn't get it to work with
> libsolid for any usecase. So I decided in the first step I'm actually happy
> that this way is working and as soon the basics work for everyone, I#ll go and
> dig deeper into how I could solve the tablet detection / hotplugging via solid
> and change all of it afterwards.

I just want to point out that if you use XInput, you don't need Solid,
because the X server dispatches events to applications when devices
are connected and disconnected.

Relying on XInput instead of Solid should also simplify your code a lot,
since you don't have to map the device names you get from Solid to the
names assigned to the devices by the X server. You only have one
interface and one device ID. It also looks to me like this mapping code
has a good chance of picking the wrong device when there is more than
one tablet connected to the computer.

There is also another aspect you should consider when you use Solid to
detect input and output devices, and that's that when you're dealing
with a remote X connection, the machine KDE is running on is not the
machine those devices are connected to.

Regards,
Fredrik