New function within KIO

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Sat Oct 2 02:52:55 BST 2010

On Friday 01 October 2010 21:34:37 Steven Sroka wrote:
> This is my first time contributing to KDE and I would like to know if I
> could edit a library by adding in a new function - which of course I would
> have to add the function header into the header file as well. How easy is
> this to do under KDE guidelines? It is a private function that is to only
> to be called by the specific source file I cam working on (and in fact I
> have already added it to the list private functions in the header file).

The relevant page is:
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Binary_Compatibility_Issues_With_C%2B%2B

The short answer is that it should be fine, although at some point you'll want
to submit a review request (http://svn.reviewboard.kde.org/), and you may get
more specific advice.

Note that if the class you are adding the function to has a Private class, you
should probably add the method to that class.  For example, to add a private
method to SimpleJob, you should actually add a method to SimpleJobPrivate.

Alex