Fwd: User bus conclusion

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Nov 10 21:52:36 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 10 November 2010, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em Quarta-feira, 10 de Novembro de 2010, às 18:01:18, Andras Mantia
escreveu:

> > > I understand that this is currently possible.
> > >
> > > My question is whether we *want* this and we actively support it.
> > > Or is it just a side effect that appears to work?
> >
> > Well, *I* want it. :)
> > Probably not all the apps are working correctly, but I'd rather fix
> > the apps if there is demand for them.
> > As somebody wrote, a user bus as an extra would be probably a nice
> > addition, but replacing the session bus is something I don't like
> > too much.
>
> Lennart's argument is that this is currently broken (it's apparently
> more broken in GNOME than in KDE) and fixing it would take a lot of
> effort. It's better to concentrate on the use-case we do want to
> support, which is that of a great desktop.
>
> The number of users who log in multiple times simultaneously is very
> small.

The number of users using $HOME on network shares is very large,
especially in universities but probably also in large coorporations.
Sure, most of the time people log out on one computer before they log in
on another computer but not always. At my work place I regularly start a
second (Windows) session on the computer in the meeting room while the
session on my work machine is running. I'd do the same if we were using
Linux (which sadly we don't do). I bet that this is an incredibly common
use case.

Regards,
Ingo