"Cornelius's grand plan" - Merging KDElibs into Qt

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 2 21:21:38 GMT 2010

On Monday 01 November 2010 21:25:45 John Layt wrote:
> We'd also need to start setting the users envvars on login to the KDE
> settings so Gnome apps play nice, but that's a separate issue to be worked
> out (or it could be how Qt reads our settings, who knows yet).

Hmmm, the POSIX standard says that if a user sets their LC_ALL to something
that starts with a '/' it's to be taken as a path to the locale file to use.
So in theory if we were to dynamically generate a POSIX locale file either at
the start of a KDE desktop session, or when the settings are changed in the
KCM, we could set the LC_ALL to point to it at login (e.g. something like
'/home/user/.kde/config/locale/en_GB at kde).  Then any Gnome / glibc / POSIX
compliant apps should load that instead and end up using our settings.

Of course, generating a valid POSIX locale file would be the hard part, but it
is doable within KDE without trying to convince Gnome / glibc / everyone else
that they should be trying to load our settings files instead.

John.