removal of KWhatsThisManager?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri May 14 18:42:35 BST 2010

hi everyone ...

KWhatsThisManager was introduced in 2004 as a way to hopefully get some of our
users contributing back whatsthis help entries by showing a helpful "there is
no content, if you'd like to provide some content, click here" which then
spawns an email that the person may fill in. neat idea.

i don't know how successful it's been, but sometimes people do click on it and
try to help out, as can be seen here:

	https://bugs.kde.org/237488?id=237488

unfortunately, the email address it uses bounces. i just tried myself and
apparently it goes to kde-usability-issues at kde.org which no longer exists.

the question i have is: do we want to maintain this service? if so, it needs
to be made more robust and that email needs to go somewhere. and i could
probably just file a sysadmin bug to get that hooked up somewhere... but the
question is: where?

personally, i don't think it's worth maintaining. why?

* it installs a global event filter on the qApp as soon as you create a
KDialog or KMainWindow

* for applications that are not written by the core KDE community, there is
really very little we can do with the submissions, and we're now getting
complaints about this on kde-devel

* i'm not sure it's the most elegant thing to show a bunch of "no content..",
"no content.." messages to people; given that we still have such widgets all
over the place in KDE, i don't think this idea has actually worked out

* it's obviously not being overly well maintained at the moment :)

so, unless there are any objections, i will remove KWhatsThisManager from
kdeui (thankfully it's a private class).

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se