Shared OSD Service for KDE

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Wed May 12 12:03:37 BST 2010

12 May 2010 Çarşamba günü (saat 05:10:55) Aaron J. Seigo şunları yazmıştı:
> On May 11, 2010, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > On 11/05/2010 17:54, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > Why should an app decide whether to do a notification
> > > about something using OSD or something else instead of simply sending
> > > it to KNotification to deal with it?
> >
> > Because I think showing volume or brightness information in notification
> > popups would look weird. This kind of information does not belong there
> > IMHO.
>
> by default, it would show up in an OSD though .. it would be up to the user
> to choose a different method, such as visual, audio, log file, etc. (or
> some combination thereof... heck, we could do an osd and play a sound,
> something we'd get "for free" using knotify)

The distinction between a notification and an OSD should be clear. Those are
different things. Whether this should be within KNotify or a stand-alone app
or a KDED daemon is a matter of decision that should be made by experienced
guys like you which know each one's pros/cons and use cases ;)

A passive notification plugin like Colibri which doesn't stack incoming
notifications is more appropriate than the current stacked active notification
popups.

---
Ozan Çağlayan
TUBITAK/UEKAE - Pardus Linux