New dependency for kdelibs and kdebase: dbusmenu-qt

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri May 7 22:11:07 BST 2010

On Thursday 06 May 2010, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On ketvirtadienis 06 Gegužė 2010 21:43:22 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > I'm satisfied by this. The quick question was if it had been
> > > implemented in the rest of KDE trunk / kdesupport trunk as well. That's
> > > because I don't follow trunk development but probably will only get to
> > > it when 4.5 is about go out. Your last mail seemed like you somewhat
> > > didn't want to ack. that there was a problem and offered
> > > CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH as a solution.
> >
> > Yes, because I was not really aware of it.
> > I'm still confused after your email.
> > Above you write:
> > "I believe that cmake defaults ( no install rpath ) meet debian's and
> > majority of distros needs completely."
> > but then again you say that CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH is not an acceptable
> > solution.
> >
> > Can you please explain ?
>
> R(UN)PATH is not always evil. Setting R(UN)PATH to /usr/lib, /lib or other
> library directories already known to system by default is evil. Setting
> RUNPATH to e.g. /usr/lib/privatelibs (those which do not have public
> headers, e.g libkdeinit4s in KDE case) is acceptable. However,
> CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH=ON breaks the 2nd use case and likely other valid ones.
> What I'm trying to say here is that this option is too generic to be an
> ultimate solution.

Ok, now I actually tested it.
Please try the attached example yourself.
It links an executable with one library in /lib/, one in /usr/lib/, one
in /usr/local/lib/, and one in /opt/kdelibs/lib/, with
INSTALL_RPATH_USE_LINK_PATH enabled.

Resulting RPATHS in the installed executable:
cmake 2.4.5: /opt/kdelibs/lib:/usr/local/lib:/lib
cmake 2.6.2: /opt/kdelibs/lib:/usr/local/lib
cmake 2.8.1: /opt/kdelibs/lib:/usr/local/lib

cmake 2.8.1 with /usr/local/lib added to
CMAKE_PLATFORM_IMPLICIT_LINK_DIRECTORIES in
Modules/Platform/UnixPath.cmake: /opt/kdelibs/lib

So the directories listed in CMAKE_PLATFORM_IMPLICIT_LINK_DIRECTORIES are not
added to the RPATH by cmake.
Doesn't this solve the issue ?

Alex