New dependency for kdelibs and kdebase: dbusmenu-qt

Modestas Vainius modestas at vainius.eu
Thu May 6 20:05:09 BST 2010

Hello,

On ketvirtadienis 06 Gegužė 2010 21:43:22 Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> > I'm satisfied by this. The quick question was if it had been implemented
> > in the rest of KDE trunk / kdesupport trunk as well. That's because I
> > don't follow trunk development but probably will only get to it when 4.5
> > is about go out. Your last mail seemed like you somewhat didn't want to
> > ack. that there was a problem and offered CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH as a
> > solution.
>
> Yes, because I was not really aware of it.
> I'm still confused after your email.
> Above you write:
> "I believe that cmake defaults ( no install rpath ) meet debian's and
> majority of distros needs completely."
> but then again you say that CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH is not an acceptable solution.
>
> Can you please explain ?

R(UN)PATH is not always evil. Setting R(UN)PATH to /usr/lib, /lib or other
library directories already known to system by default is evil. Setting
RUNPATH to e.g. /usr/lib/privatelibs (those which do not have public headers,
e.g libkdeinit4s in KDE case) is acceptable. However, CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH=ON
breaks the 2nd use case and likely other valid ones. What I'm trying to say
here is that this option is too generic to be an ultimate solution.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas at vainius.eu>