Configuration of database connection information

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Mon May 3 12:03:07 BST 2010

On Friday 30 April 2010 15:24:39 Lynn Hazan wrote:
> I am currently developing an application which is displaying data retrieved
> from a database. For that purpose I am using a dedicated unique database
> user account .
> I would like to store the database connection information (host, database
> name, user name, password) in an application configuration file which
> should not be accessible to everybody. The idea is to have the information
> outside the compiled code so it can be easily updated it if necessary, but
> protected.
>
> This configuration would be application internal (not accessible to the end
> users like with KConfig).
>
> Does anyone know how to do this?

I don't understand the problem clearly.  The app, running as the user, needs
to be able to access the configuration information, but the user himself
should not be able to read it? To change it?  Why not?  Or should only other
users on the system be unable to read/edit the database configuration?

Also kde-devel is the list for application developement.

Will