Review Request: Add a confirmation window when emptying the trash

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Mar 30 19:14:56 BST 2010

On Tuesday 30 March 2010, Arno Rehn wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 March 2010 12:53:44 Nicolas Lécureuil wrote:

> > > Hallelujah.
> > >
> > > Toma
> >
> > i closed the review but i really don't see your points.
>
> I'd keep the a 3-step way to delete files permanently, though I would
> move the confirmation dialog to a different place.
> I'd let the user move files to the trash without a confirmation
> dialog at all, because moving a file to the trash can be undone.
> Emptying the trash however is a permanent action which you could just
> hit accidentially (that happened to me a few times, even though I
> didn't want to..).
> So I'd rather have a confirmation before emptying the trash, but not
> before moving a file there. That's similar then to directly deleting
> a file permanently. Before something permanent happens, you are
> asked whether you really want to do that.

That's not a good idea. The user might accidentally initiate "Move to
Trash" by hitting a wrong key, clicking the wrong icon, selecting the
wrong context menu item.... Now the problem could be that the user
either does not notice that the file is gone (so, when it's later
deleted automatically from the Trash it might be gone forever) or that
he notices that it's gone, but he has no idea what happened to it. Think
about your mom or dad (or my mom or dad if your mom or dad wouldn't run
into this problem).

Regards,
Ingo