Review Request: Add a confirmation window when emptying the trash

Arno Rehn kde-devel at arnorehn.de
Tue Mar 30 15:19:15 BST 2010

On Tuesday 30 March 2010 12:53:44 Nicolas Lécureuil wrote:
> Le Mardi 30 Mars 2010 12:22:26, Tom Albers a écrit :
> > Op Tuesday 30 March 2010 12:14 schreef u:
> > > I agree with Tom, this is bloat.  By default it is a 3 step action to
> > > permanently delete a file via the trash can.
> > > 1) invoke Move to Trash action
> > > 2) Confirm moving to Trash
> > > 3) Empty Trash
> > >
> > > You are adding 4) Confirm Empty Trash, because the user might have
> > > already disabled 2).  This makes the default path to permanently delete
> > > something a 4 step process which is excessively cautious.
> > >
> > > If the user checks "Don't ask me again" on 4), then we are back to a 2
> > > step process again, and your next patch adds 5) Confirm Confirm Empty
> > > Trash - this can go on forever.
> > >
> > > If you consider the Delete action as well, this remains a 2 step action
> > > to permanently delete
> > > 1a) File->Delete
> > > 2a) Confirm deletion
> > >
> > > So considering that the user might configure Delete instead of Trash in
> > > Dolphin
> > >
> > >  and might disable 2a), your patch still does not add any additional
> > >  safety, at
> > >
> > > the cost of making the default configuration excessively cautious.
> > >

> > > - Will
> >
> > Hallelujah.
> >
> > Toma
>
> i closed the review but i really don't see your points.
I'd keep the a 3-step way to delete files permanently, though I would move the
confirmation dialog to a different place.
I'd let the user move files to the trash without a confirmation dialog at all,
because moving a file to the trash can be undone.
Emptying the trash however is a permanent action which you could just hit
accidentially (that happened to me a few times, even though I didn't want
to..).
So I'd rather have a confirmation before emptying the trash, but not before
moving a file there. That's similar then to directly deleting a file
permanently. Before something permanent happens, you are asked whether you
really want to do that.

--
Arno Rehn
arno at arnorehn.de