KLauncher problems in trunk?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Mar 22 19:47:55 GMT 2010

On Monday 22 March 2010, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hej Tobias,
>
> Lundi, le 22 mars 2010, à 15:45, Tobias Koenig a écrit:
> > Hej,
> >
> > can anybody else reproduce problems with KLauncher in KDE trunk?
> > Sometimes when starting an application via KRunner or Plasma panel,
> > the system seems to get stuck for some seconds and then an error
> > dialog appears that says KLauncher couldn't be contacted...
> >
> > When running from console, you can see that a new instance of
> > kdeinit4 is started with a new klauncher, kio-slaves etc... so you
> > end up with two kdeinit4 processes running :/
> >
> > Did someone change anything klauncher related lately?
>
> A similar behaviour is also present in 4.3:
> Clicking a program shortcut or using KRunner keeps the system busy a
> little, but nothing happens (though no error dialog, just the
> program never appearing/running). Redoing the action usually results
> in an almost instant reaction as called for.

I also noticed this regularly before I disabled the Strigi file indexer
which slowed my whole system to a crawl. This slow-down seemed to cause
some dbus calls to time out. Most of the time, after clicking on a URL,
I got an error message that launching something-or-other failed, but
after some time the URL was still opened with the correct application.

Regards,
Ingo