KRemoteControl moved to kdereview

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 21:03:58 GMT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Michael Zanetti
<michael_zanetti at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the purpose of this?  Does it just
>> handle identifying devices or is mapping button presses to commands
>> also handled by this?
>>

> You can query the RemoteControlManager for available remotes on the system.
> Additionally you get signals when a remote control has been connected or
> removed (e.g. lircd has been started or a bluetooth remote connected).
>
> After browsing the available remotes you can query each remote for its
> available buttons. Each RemoteControl provides a signal named
> buttonPressed(RemoteControlButton).
>
> RemoteControlButtons handle the transition between the backend representation
> of buttons and the KDE representation consisting of a unique ID for the
> button, its name and a translated human readable name for representing buttons
> in UIs in a unified and translated manner.
>
> The purpose is to make using remote controls very simple and independent of
> the underlaying technique and operating system.
>
> For example it would need just about 10 to 20 lines of code to make amarok
> fully remote control aware using this Solid interface.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

What about just integrating it into the normal KDE shortcut system, so
that remote control buttons could be used the same way keyboard
shortcuts are now?  A pluggable system where people could provide new
backends for the normal KDE shortcut system would be very handy in my
opinion.  It wouldn't just be useful for remote controls.  For
instance I imagine the simon speech recognition software being
discussed on the mailing list right now could probably use such a
system to allow voice commands to be integrated into KDE's shortcut
system.  It could also be used, with the appropriate backends, for
mice and joysticks, both of which KDE applications currently need to
program their own shortcut system for (as plasma does now for mice and
some games do for joysticks).  It would mean people would only needs a
single, consistent interface for assigned functions to all of their
input devices.

-Todd